At BWL we recognise that our activities impact on a wider community than just our clients and employees. We are happy to accept that we have a responsibility to the local community and therefore operate policies to reflect these responsibilities. We are conscious of our environmental obligations and recognise that an appreciation of such issues not only benefits the firm but also those who work for BWL, other local businesses and the community as a whole.
Supporting Local Businesses
Wherever possible, local firms are used to provide the goods and services that we need to operate. For example, local builders, garden maintenance and roofing contractors are used for the maintenance of the firms office and archive centre, not to mention numerous other firms who provide support to maintain BWL, without which we could not provide a professional service to our clients.
Work Experience Opportunities
Each year we support local schools providing work experience for a number of year 10/11 students to promote the legal profession as a career choice, not only for solicitors but also support staff. This has proved to be a beneficial and positive experience for staff and students alike.
We also provide work experience/work placements for University students who have completed their law degree and/or Legal Practice Certificate. This again, is beneficial for the students but also provides the firm with an insight in the thinking of the next generation of Lawyers.
- An ongoing programme of improving office facilities to reduce our carbon footprint has resulted in us reducing our land fill waste to a “carrier bag’s worth” each week. We recycle our food waste, plastic, cardboard and paper on a weekly basis.
- Confidential Waste is confidentially destroyed and certified, ensuring our compliance with regulations and maintaining our, and our clients’ security.
- Toner Cartridges for printers, copiers etc. are recycled for a charitable cause.
- Cardboard, plastics, paper and food waste are collected weekly by a local firm for recycling.
- Milk bottles are returned to our milkman for recycling.
- Computer equipment is recycled by a local company or donated to registered charities.
- Local and national charities are regularly supported.
- “Mr X”, a local children’s charity providing Christmas presents for children within the Swansea area, has been supported for many years.
- Macmillan Cancer Research and other cancer charities are supported annually with coffee mornings and raffles.
- Jeans for Genes Day is held each October by wearing jeans and fundraising.
- Wish House (supporting terminally ill children) is supported annually .
- Various projects and courses are put forward during the year by staff members, such as sponsored walks or runs and local sport teams are supported.